Monday 12 May 2014

Saints and Infant Jesus

Child Jesus carrying His cross baby jesus 

Quite a number of Saints have actually held the Infant Jesus in their arms during their visions- It is a heavenly grace which  brought them an  inconceivable joy! 
Here is a cute picture of St.Joseph and the crying Infant Jesus
                                                St. Joseph holding the crying Baby Jesus.             http://www.pinterest.com/pin/140878294567750725/
St. Francis of Assisi
(1182–1226)
The Virgin and Child Appearing to St. Francis of Assisi, Francesco Vanni, ARSH 1599http://www.barnhardt.biz/2014/04/11/starting-friday-off-right-can-i-hold-your-baby-edition/

Saint Francis lived in almost constant communion with Christ. In 1219 Francis traveled to the Holy Land where he had his first vision of the infant Jesus. With four brother monks, he went to the crib in Bethlehem and spent Christmas night in the grotto where Christ was born. In a deep state of ecstasy, Francis relived the birth of Christ. A few years later on Christmas Eve, in the small town of Greccio, Italy, Francis built a replica of this manger scene, creating the first crèche scene in history. He then experienced a second vision in which he held the infant Jesus in his arms.


St. Anthony of Padua
1195–1231
http://www.communityofhopeinc.org/Prayer%20Pages/Saints/Saint%20Anthony%20of%20Padua.html
Anthony secluded at a hermitage outside of Padua and arranged for a monk’s cell to be built high up in the branches of a walnut tree. There he spent his days in contemplation and prayer, returning to the hermitage in the evening. One night a follower approached Anthony’s hermitage room and, attracted by a bright light, through the window saw Anthony in ecstasy embracing the infant Jesus.



Here are a few women Saints who have held the Little Jesus :
St. Teresa of Avila (1515-1582, Mystic & Stigmatic)
      http://thewindowshowsitall.blogspot.in/2008_10_01_archive.html
                                                          http://rorate-caeli.blogspot.com/2012/12/child-jesus-cras-1of2.html


St. Teresa of Jesus (Teresa of Avila) often meditated upon the great humility of Jesus in His Incarnation, and she always traveled with her statue of the Infant Jesus when she was establishing new convents. She is believed to be responsible for an increased devotion to the Child Jesus in Spain during and after her holy lifetime.
Her devotion to the Infant Jesus was established after a very edifying incident. One day Teresa of Avila was coming down the steps of her convent when she saw a beautiful young boy. The Child spoke to her and said: "Who are you?"
So Teresa answered: "I am Teresa of Jesus and who are you?"
The Child answered with a play of words: "I am Jesus of Teresa!" and then He disappeared. But He would appear to her many, many times afterwards, but mostly as the suffering Jesus (in His adult manhood) to encourage her to sacrifice and suffer in union with Him on the Cross for the conversion of sinners.- 

See more at: http://www.mysticsofthechurch.com/2013/12/visions-of-child-jesus-in-lives-of.html#sthash.E1ACfAeC.dpuf




 

St.Rose of Lima. Child Jesus taught her to read and write and helped her perform many miracles through Him.

Marie Rose Ferron, better known as Little Rose,
               http://www.mysticsofthechurch.com/2013/12/visions-of-child-jesus-in-lives-of.html

At around age 5 Our Lord appeared to her in a vision for the first time. Later when asked about this vision Rose said, "I saw the Child Jesus carrying a cross and He looked at me with grief in His eyes."

From that time on Jesus visited Rose and spoke to her and she spoke to Him. - See more at: http://www.mysticsofthechurch.com/2011/12/marie-rose-ferron-photo-documentary.html#sthash.wgjFgIFn.dpuf



St. Catherine of Bologna, the Patron Saint of Artists.

1413–1463


As a young nun, Catherine de’ Vigri was beset by many visions, some of divine origin while others, induced by doubts, were very disconcerting. Ultimately, Catherine had a divine vision that revealed to her the deepest teachings of Christ and her doubts vanished forever.
One Christmas Eve, after praying for many hours, the Blessed Mary appeared to Catherine, holding the baby Jesus. Referring to herself in the third person, Catherine wrote: “This kind mother came to her and gave her Son to her… Trembling with respect, but still more overcome with joy, she took the liberty of caressing Him, of pressing Him against her heart and bringing His face to her lips… He disappeared, leaving her filled with joy.”

       

 St. Agnes of Montepulciano
1268–1317Image of St. Agnes of Montepulciano, cloistered Dominican Nun, holding the Infant Jesus and a Lily
St. Agnes’ life was one of quiet cloistered service to her fellow nuns whom she served both as an abbess and founder of convents. Her deep dedication and devotion found expression in deep prayer and inner communion. Agnes was often seen in ecstasy, levitating above the ground, and receiving Holy Communion from an angel. In other visions, she was allowed to hold the infant Jesus.
St. Therese of Lisieux
1873–1897
St. Therese of the Child Jesus and the Holy Face
At a young age, St. Therese of Lisieux said that she didn’t want to be a “saint by halves.” She desired with her whole being to be taken up by God’s love and God’s work. On Christmas Eve, when she was 14 years old, Therese had a vision of the baby Jesus and “the darkness of her soul was filled with floods of light.” She felt that Christ had given her the inner strength that enabled her to “choose all” for God.
Thérèse refers to this Christmas eve experience as “my conversion.” She says, “On that blessed night the sweet infant Jesus, scarcely an hour old, filled the darkness of my soul with floods of light. By becoming weak and little, for love of me, He made me strong and brave: He put His own weapons into my hands so that I went on from strength to strength, beginning, if I may say so, ‘to run as a giant.’”

St Faustina Kowalska (1905-1938, Mystic) 
 200px-Faustina.jpg
In her diary, St Faustina wrote on February 2, 1936, “…when Mass began, a strange silence and joy filled my heart. Just then I saw Our Lady with the Infant Jesus… The most holy Mother said to me, ‘Take my Dearest Treasure,’ and she handed me the Infant Jesus. When I took the Infant Jesus in my arms, the Mother of God and Saint Joseph disappeared. I was left alone with the Infant Jesus” (Diary, 608)


"...I suddenly saw the Infant Jesus standing by my kneeler and holding on to it with His two little hands. Although He was but a little Child, my soul was filled with awe and fear, for I see in Him my Judge, my Lord, and my Creator, before whose holiness the Angels tremble. At the same time, my soul was flooded with such unspeakable love that I thought I would die under its influence (Diary, 566).


".. I saw the Infant Jesus near my kneeler. He appeared to be about one year old, and He asked me to take Him in my arms. When I did take Him in my arms, He cuddled up close to my bosom and said, "It is good for Me to be close to your heart. ... Because I want to teach you spiritual childhood. I want you to be very little, because when you are little, I carry you close to My Heart, just as you are holding Me close to your heart right now" (Diary, 1481).

- See more at: http://www.mysticsofthechurch.com/2013/12/visions-of-child-jesus-in-lives-of.html#sthash.zqbdGCS7.dpuf

No comments:

Post a Comment