Tuesday 10 September 2013

Inspired by my Angel to become versed in Sacred Art !

I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free.
Michelangelo 

                                                                    http://www.carmelpublications.com/losservatore.html
I realize today with an enigmatic joy that what I discover each day is not something that I discover on my own. In fact it is what my Guardian Angel has been guiding and leading me into. This realization came upon me this morning as I sat down on my prayer chair. But before I could reflect or meditatate, my eyes suddenly beheld a folded tabloid-sized paper still unwrapped within its postal cover. What I could decipher on taking it out of the wrap was that it was an old issue of L'OSSERVATORE ROMANO, the Malayalam edition,  dated 19 August, 2010.It is the Pope's in-house paper, the semi official news paper of the Holy See - (published from Vatican!!).
 The paper has turned slightly yellow. But everything else in tact! On tearing open the wrap, what I read immediately is the article at the last page. It is a reflection on the theologies of East and West through  'Sacred Art'. The whole article in English is published in the net by ewtn. The link is http://www.ewtn.com/library/MARY/assumptdormi.HTM. The article is based on the paintings of Assumption and Dormition of Mary, Mother of God. The author is Christopher Longhurst and the title is Mariae Assumpta and Dormitio Mariae. Here is how Longhurst introduces the subject:

In the Western tradition the Assumption has been a subject of sacred art since writings as earlier as the fifth century bore witness to the Church's early belief in Mary's body being assumed into heaven after her earthly life. The Eastern Fathers considered another tradition closely associated with the West which taught that Mary, being free from sin and death, at the end of her earthly life simply went to sleep and was taken up into heaven. This latter tradition was known as Dormitio Mariae — the "Dormition" or "Falling Asleep" (Greek koimesis) of the Virgin. In the religious art of the West it was commonly called the Death of the Virgin, a familiar subject which draws on Byzantine models until the end of the Middle Ages. Subsequently the doctrine of Maria Assumpta(Mary's Assumption) gained headway in the West while the Dormition remained the principal theme in the East. Today the iconography of each tradition reflects how the Church has integrated its teaching on Mary's Assumption to create a force shaping the development of Mariology in the arts throughout the centuries.

Anyway, I am intrigued. The first thing I am going to do about this is to renew my subscription of L"osservatore Romano. Next I am going to study a bit deeper into this subject, especially about Sacred Art! Something I can really study along with the three pillars, Sacred Word, Sacred Tradition and Sacred Magisterium. I think Sacred Art too can go along with these Sacred pillars.

The Byzantine paintings are something that I got fascinated with, while I made my Jerusalem pilgrimage. I also remember standing a bit too long beside the Dormition statue of Our Lady at the Church of Dormition. This beautiful statue of Virgin Mary asleep,is in the crypt of the church and it sure is a serene place for prayer.  


Thanks my dear Guardian dear, you are an Angel!! I am reminded of the Angel whom St.John the Evangelist encountered at Patmos, where the Book of Revelation was written. I shudder when I think of the voice of the Angel in Rev 5:1-2!
Saint John on Patmos - Limbourg brothers
Saint John on Patmos - Limbourg brothershttp://www.wikipaintings.org/en/search/saint%20john%20the%20evangelist%20guido%20reni/5
                                            

 I saw that in the right hand of the One sitting on the throne there was a scroll that was written on back and front and was sealed with seven seals.  Then I saw a powerful angel who called with a loud voice, 'Who is worthy to open the scroll and break its seals?' - Revelation 5:1-2

No comments:

Post a Comment