Wednesday 21 August 2013

Rapine, avarice, expense........

http://www.123rf.com/photo_9559703_3d-sale-bag-red-retail-shopping-discount-buy.html
Rapine, avarice, expense, This is idolatry; and these we adore; Plain living and high thinking are no more.
William Wordsworth 


What have I discovered today? And yesterday...., and the day before?
Well, much, much did I discover!
On Friday I discovered the crazy sale in Oberon Mall!
'Time Out' was selling off things like mad.
80% discount on things I love.....Wow , the stationary items,
The brush, the palette, the pens.........
And of course the books at crazy prices!
But the timely  admonition prevented me from indulging in a buying spree!
Where will you keep all these things was the filial query, 
How are you going to organize an already overcrowded study room?
So I restrained my shopaholic avarice
And limited my shopping to the minimum.
Still...,  I did manage to include:
The Third Alternative by Stephen Covey, 
And an Encyclopedia of Immaturity by Klutz Editors.
I loved its spiral hard binding
And of course the funny cover Page -
A cloned Mona Lisa with a mustache n' a goatee beard!!                                                                                                       
                                                                                               

Yesterday was another day of discovering things.
Discovered the tiny toothbrush in a medical shop
That really looks so cute, I must admit.

Then a walk down the memory lane,
The good old Broadway....,

And the Calligraphy pen (Parker..., hm...!).
Finally  back home 
To sit and paint a little while
The amateur painting ........,.
My first ever painting on a canvas board!!!

And today at the painting class, the beginning of a tulip,
And after that the discovery of ABC...
................
Life is beautiful!

Here is the whole poem by WW:

Written in London. September, 1802

BY WILLIAM WORDSWORTH

O Friend! I know not which way I must look

For comfort, being, as I am, opprest,
To think that now our life is only drest
For show; mean handy-work of craftsman, cook,
Or groom! — We must run glittering like a brook
In the open sunshine, or we are unblest:
The wealthiest man among us is the best:
No grandeur now in nature or in book
Delights us. Rapine, avarice, expense,
This is idolatry; and these we adore:
Plain living and high thinking are no more:
The homely beauty of the good old cause
Is gone; our peace, our fearful innocence,
And pure religion breathing household laws.


Then he said to them, "Watch out! Be on your guard against all kinds of greed; a man's life does not consist in the abundance of his possessions."
Luke 12:15 

No comments:

Post a Comment